RJRA strives to make meaningful contributions to the advancement of the profession and the community. Particularly, RJRA employees have always been interested in giving back to the community by participating in local events in the hopes of inspiring students to pursue careers in Engineering, Planning, and Public Involvement.
I have always felt it is very important to try to inspire children, especially minority children, to pursue engineering careers. Being a minority myself, I feel that I have a story to share and hope that I can be an example to a student.Rudy Rivera
Advancing the Profession
Beyond striving to make meaningful contributions to community, RJRA works in making advancements to the Engineering, Planning, and Public Involvement professions.
San Anto Cultural Arts has been hosting the Annual Huevos Rancheros Gala & Silent Art Auction for 11 years now. The Huevos (or Egg) Gala is more than a fundraiser. It serves to honor the King and Queen Huevos of San Antonio: two individuals chosen for their contributions to the artistic and cultural vibrancy of San Antonio. The down-home event features delicious Huevos Rancheros and live music. This year the Gala will be held on Saturday, October 4 from 9am-12am at Plaza Guadalupe. Activities include:
- Live conjunto music from Los Padrinos, Eva Ybarra, and Rudy Lopez,
- A silent art auction,
- Lowrider parade,
- Cascaron coronation of the King Huevo and Queen Huevo and Huevero Court,
- and Feasting!
Proceeds benefit San Anto Cultural Arts mural, public art, newspaper and multimedia programs for young people and adults.
SHPE Austin - Café con un Ejectivo
October 7, 2008 The Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers - Austin Professional District, or SHPE Austin, will be hosting a professional development event, "Café con un Ejectivo (Coffee with an Executive)." This will be an opportunity to network with an elite panel of local Austin Executives and other Austin profesionals.
Rudy will speak as one of the panelists at the event. Topics include:
- What you may need to focus on to stay viable and competitive in today's working environment?
- What is needed to establish and maintain working relationships with your teams, given a global/virtual work environment?
- Which leadership styles and qualities work best today? Are they different than years prior? Given their personal stories, what can be done to overcome leadership challenges or derailments?
- As an engineering professional, what are some challenges and benefits of starting your own business?
The event will occur on Tuesday October 7, 2008 from 8:30AM to 10:00AM at IBM, Building 908, Mt. Laurel located at 11501 Burnet Road, Austin, TX 78758. Coffee and a continental breakfast will be served from 8:30AM to 9:00AM.
RJRA participated in this year's 4th annual RIDEAL conference, an international conference for the investigation network of metropolitan areas of Europe and Latin America. This year's three day conference was held in El Paso, Texas, U.S.A. and in the City of Juárez, Chihuahua, Mexico, May 26-28, 2008.